Glass recycling is very simple and beneficial process as glass is one of the materials which can be recycled easily. It can be applied to produce as useful products for using in household. There are some creativity ideas to apply those used glass especially used glass bottle. Used glass bottle can be made into the countertops in bathroom and kitchen. For this idea, it is the same technique as to make tile mosaics. You can create what you desire by blending colours or create any pictures. Here are the instructions for making recycled glass countertops.
1. Collect and clean up the bottles. Make sure that there is no drink still inside when you start to break those bottles down. As your preference, you can take or not take the labels on bottles out. After they have already cleaned up, place those bottles into a large clear plastic container and smash them into pieces by the hammer. In this process, you need to concern of safety by wearing long sleeve shirt with dusk mask and gloves on.
2. Carefully remove pieces of glass by a gloved hand and put them in a container. For remaining pieces, they must be smashed into a powdery substance. Anyway, you can skip this step in case the powder does not keep its colour. After smashing process, the powder must be kept in a sealed container with a special care.
3. In this step, you must start to build up a countertop frame which consisting of a plywood bottom panel and a raised, bevelled edge that rises roughly ¼ to ½ inch over the bottom panel. For any areas which can be visible after complete, you will need to use finishing nails and wood screws to hide that areas.
4. Now it is the time to mix up the glass powder into tile adhesive to alter the colour as you desired. Spread one or two square feet of tile adhesive with a mud trowel. It must be roughly at first and smoothing down with the flat edge. When a flat spread have already made, you can start to insert glass shard carefully Make sure that those pieces are placed to encourage the strength. Keep on repeating until the countertop frames are all filled with mosaic glass-work.
5. Coating the countertop by spreading a resin which is intended for sealing stone countertops. If you prefer to make more good appearance of your countertop, you can use some sanding when the resin gets dry.